I like to eat healthy. I like to try to eat healthy, at least. What does this mean? It means I try to have a low fat intake while maintaining a high protien intake. Because I try to eat healthy, that means I hafta bother at looking at the dreaded "Nutritional Facts" on the back/side/bottom of the box.
Now, since I actually hafta look at the "Nutritional Facts", I've noticed something. It seems that serving sizes are pathetically small. And because of this, it makes it really hard figuring out the true "Nutritional Facts" of whatever I want to eat.
Why don't they make serving sizes that matter?
For instance, the serving size of a bag of chips is aproximately 3/4 cup. Raise your hand if you drag out the measuring cup every time you open a bag of chips.
Another example: I love spaghetti. It's high on carbs, though, but good for energy. However, when I look at the serving size, I'm shocked. Drag out the weighing machine. A serving size is 2 ounces! So what does this mean? I'm eating at least 2-3 times the serving size, so I have to multiply the nutritional content by that much. While I'm no idiot and can do these calculations in my head, it's annoying. Okay, maybe not everyone eats spaghetti like I do. Who eats 2 ounces of spaghetti anyway?! I know you don't!
When most people eat, they eat 2x more servings of whatever they're eating. If this is the case, then why don't companies make the serving sizes large and recalculate the "Nutritional Facts?"
The real reason?
With smaller serving sizes, the food you're eating seems less fattening because of the "Facts" provided.
Anyway, serving sizes are too small.
Friday, February 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment